My life has basically boiled down to school, workout, and study. I remember there was a time when I couldn’t wait to be a medical student and my only responsibility would be to study. Now, I miss for the nine-to-five routine of my job, and having entire evenings and weekends to myself. I always feel a little guilty for not studying when I’m not studying. We have an exam in 2 weeks, and I almost wish it would come sooner because the weekend after is pretty much the only relaxing time in the curriculum. This is what my life has come down to… pining for exams for the ensuing precious 2 days of freedom.
After studying, crossfit/working out is my second priority. Some recent progress:
- Ran 8:07 track mile 2 weeks ago
- Deadlifted 135 x 3, and also 145 x 3 (but baddd form)
- Did a WOD that included 90 pullups, 45 of those without a band and 45 with a red band. Next time we get a wod with <60 pullups, I’m going to try to do them all unassisted! This one was really rough because they were in sets of 30. If they were broken up more, I might have been able to do more.
- 100 burpees in 8:14. This was yesterday’s wod, and today my delts are killing me!
- “Randy” (75 power snatches) with 33lb bar in 6:20 or so? Maybe 6:40? I finished first in the class, which has never happened before!
- Failed a 123lb 1rm squat at the bottom. Tried it again, and managed to stand back up, but I don’t think I got low enough, so my 1RM is still 115.
Sadly I think I’m losing some endurance/running ability since doing more crossfit and running a lot less. I went out for 4 miles last week, and it felt really long and hard. I’ve decided I want to incorporate a little more running into my workouts to enjoy the nice fall weather while it lasts, so this was the wod I did today:
Run 1 mile on track: 8:20
Rest ~5 minutes while walking to playground/monkey bars
10 pullups (kipping)
10 pistols (left leg)
10 Toes to bars (kipping)
19 pistols (right leg)
Rest: 5 minutes while walking to track
Run 1 mile: 8:44.
I got to play on these!
There was some fall festival in the park where I work out on the playground, so there were a ton of kids running amok. I had a lot of toddler eyes on me while I was doing my kipping t2b and pullups, which made me feel both badass and self-conscious.
OOOH but something cool! I took my first patient history yesterday! I spend one afternoon a month with a doctor in a private practice to work on clinical skills. I took my very own patient history, and performed parts of the physical exam (blood pressure and weight and height, ….SHUTTUP ITS EXCITING OKAY??!?). It made medical school feel rewarding, not this self-subjected torture that is costing me $180,000.
Now back to studying all the muscles and neurovasculature in the lower limb…